Sunday 3 February 2013

Hello!

Hello there!

I thought it best that I introduce myself and explain the purpose of this blog!

After years of creative ambitions and efforts, I have finally set up the website for my handmade greetings card business (fingerprintgreetings.co.uk - currently only delivering within UK- sorry)! Given that my cardmaking was originally a labour of love (a short introduction to how I got started is available on the "Who? Why?" section of the website), I really wanted to share with everyone exactly how much work I put into my projects, maybe even give a few crafty tips and pointers to all of the crafters out there!

I can see that it LOOKS silly to give away the crafty card-making secrets to everyone when I'm hoping to attract customers. Why on earth should you buy from me, rather than just use my tips and tutorials to make your own cards?

Well, like any other hobby, to get professional-looking results, you really have to invest a lot of money, time and effort. For the sake of ordering a few birthday and Christmas cards, it may well NOT be in your interests to do so. Lucky for you I've already invested in all manner of gadgets, gizmos and supplies- it may well BE in your interests to purchase your cards from me, given that a) I am willing to share with you how much effort will go into each and every project and b) I am painfully honest. Couldn't swindle a person if I tried.

There are a couple of services and websites out there (who shall remain nameless) that claim to be able to create a personalised card for your loved ones. It's clear to me that these services view 'personalising' as being synonymous with 'printing a name onto'. To me, something 'personal' means that it was made with due care and attention, especially for you- NOT 'looks exactly like that card Gary got for his birthday last year but has "Carol" written on it instead'. There's nothing wrong with the cards from such sites- indeed, I've received a couple myself- but I always think something handmade and embellished makes more of an impression.

It's very easy to look at a card and assume that it's a handful of pre-printed, pre-cut shapes and motifs put together, but I actually stamp, colour, cut and customise a lot of my own accents and embellishments, according to the design or theme of the project.

For instance... On this card, I die-cut the card base and the corresponding layers, then embossed the top layer. I took some plain white (and unembellished) poinsettia-style paper flowers and leaves, coloured them with alcohol markers (mixing lighter colours in the centres and edging with darker colours to create more dimension, THEN adhered flat-back pearls to the centre of each. I took some plain white card for the tag, coloured the centre and distressed the edge with ink. All in all, I feel that I was successful in creating a very festive and floral bespoke piece here!

Whilst trying to get a business off the ground, it's imperative that I try to create my cards in as time-efficient a manner as possible, but it's preposterously easy to lose track of time in a hobby that you love. I've never missed a deadline, and I've never had a complaint about my work, and I'd guess that the reason for the latter is that I will spend every waking moment perfecting my work.

I am trying to update the website as often as I can- but in the meantime, when I'm low on stock, there's always the '£5 Custom Creation' (price doesn't include postage) button! It's half create-a-card, half lucky dip! If you order, then message me from the site (quoting your order number and outlining the colour scheme/theme/elements/name you'd like included) I will create for you a one-of-a-kind greetings card, and help you to put a smile on the face of your loved one/s on their special day!



 








No comments:

Post a Comment